Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Oh Lord, It's Hard To Be Humble...

When I was a young whipper-snapper...there used to be a thing on television called "The Muppet Show."

You may have heard of it.

Being about the age of 9 or 10 years old, and having a real appreciation for slap-stick humor delivered by furry bug-eyed puppets, I was a fan.

 I can remember sitting as close to the television screen as my mother would allow (her warnings of impending blindness that came whenever I sat too close still warm my heart today); my hair damp but squeaky clean from my recent bath, tucking my knees up under my chin so that nothing peeped out from under the ruffle of my Laura Ingalls nightgown except my toes, and waiting in talcum-powder covered wonder for the show to begin.

(Did I mention I was a fan?)

One particularly side-splitting episode involved Mack Davis singing "Hard To Be Humble" to Captain Link Hogthrob of "Pigs in Space" fame.

(Told you I was a fan.)

I loved that song.

OH LORD! IT'S HARD TO BE HUMBLE
WHEN YER PER-FECT IN EV-ER-Y WAAY
I CAIN'T WAIT TA LOOK IN THE MIRROR
'CAUSE AH GIT BETTER LOOK-IN' EACH DAY!

All the while during the song, Capt. Hogthrob is sagely nodding his head in perfect understanding.

Sometimes...it is indeed hard to be humble.

Especially when you think your way is the only way, or your plan is THE VERY BEST PLAN ON THE PLANET and no one, not even The Almighty can do it better.

(Not that I'm like that or anything. This is so totally a hypothetical post. NOT!)

However, the illusion of perfection (ours...not His) is somewhat skewered.  'Cause truly, we don't know what perfection is.  We know WHO it is, but not the How and the Why and the Wherefore, nor the comprehension of His entirety.

In the face of that Perfection, humility is a just and righteous attitude. 

And nothing can teach humility like being completely out of control of a given situation and having no other option than to rip off your "Sunday Morning Hallelujah Smile" and run pell-mell to Jesus. 

So...today, with as much humility as I can muster, I want to encourage you.  If you find yourself face-down in the ashes of your pride, with the smoldering little coals of your plans floating down around you, and feeling the hot tears of helpless-ness running down your cheeks...don't worry.

If you'll look just a little to your left...I'm right there with you.  Snorting and snotting and throwing down my crowns and my "perfection" along with every other true follower of Jesus Christ.

And maybe humming a little Mac Davis tune-age under my breath.  Humbly, of course.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Love it!:)Keep going Shayne!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be on to YOUR left throwing down my dozens of perfectly imperfect plans...
    "Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

    Thank you for doing this today!

    ReplyDelete