Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bread Continued

Since receiving Ara's letter, I've been mulling over her decision to reach for the bread.

Children often see through things so clearly don't they? 

She had already chosen new clothes (being a girl...that's pretty much a given right?) so there were obviously other choices available to her.  Maybe some toys or candy, but she didn't choose those.

She chose what would give her sustenance.

I can't say that I would have done the same.  I would have gone for the candy or a Barbie doll.

Can I be a bit transparent with you here friend?  Can I say to you what is really wrecking me right now?

I have been blessed with so much that the sustenance...the true substance that gives me life...has become boring in my eyes.  My heart tends to wander to the glitzy, the shiny, the empty.  I have not learned how to be content.  My heart starves because I don't choose life and I am often left wanting more.

But there's never enough to fill that wanting.

Isn't that the way of it?  Isn't that what Eve's problem was?  She was fed by the Holy, and clothed in the Eternal, but it wasn't enough.  She wasn't content in her heart and she was drawn away.

Oh boy.

How is it that one pushes a button on the internet, thinking she's going to help be the hands and feet of the Saviour...and then ends up being the one who is being saved?

It is the mystery of grace.

Jesus, in a world of Ding-Dongs and Ho-Hos...help me to choose bread.

(If you would like to learn more about Compassion International, or are interested in sponsoring a child, please click on the link to the side of this post.  Thank you in advance!)


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this and I LOVE you title and tag line...so subscribing so I can keep up with the "having fun" part. AWESOME post and it made me laugh...that's a good thing! ;) Hopping from A Holy Experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy...stop by anytime! Thanks for "hopping" over!

      Delete
  2. I'm feeling ashamed at my own inadequacies. I often choose the "devil dog" over the Bread of Life. Thank you for a timely conviction, Shayne. Again.

    ReplyDelete